If you’ve determined that you want to set a budget to get control of your finances and either get out of debt or save money for the future then you may have already come across our Free Printable Monthly Budget Planners. To make your budget even more detailed and specific to your situation, or if you’ve struggled to know how much money to allocate to a particular area of your budget, we’ve created budget templates using the 50/30/20 rule.
WHAT IS THE 50/30/20 RULE OR BUDGETING METHOD?
The 50/30/20 rule is pretty straightforward and uses your household’s income (net of tax) to determine how much money you can allot to each area in which you spend. This budgeting method says you should budget your income (after taxes) by putting 50% of it towards needs, 30% of it to wants, and 20% of it to savings or debt repayment.
Within each of those three categories (needs, wants, and savings/debt repayment) you will then be able to flesh out your budget by further breaking down your expenses (mortgage, groceries, clothes, etc.) while staying within the amount you’ve already determined you can afford. This method makes it so easy to see where you can spend more money and where you cannot and allows you to make adjustments accordingly. It is also a great way to ensure that monthly income goes towards your needs and the future (or repaying debt) and isn’t entirely wasted away on frivolous things while still allowing for some “me” or “fun” spending in the wants category.
With that quick primer complete, for each of the unique template designs we’ve included for free, we’ve included the following:
- A monthly budget template with some common budget categories.
- A monthly budget template with many common budget categories.
- An entirely blank monthly budget template for maximum customization.
- Matching Needs, Wants, and Savings & Debt Repayment Trackers so you can track any given category (or all of them!) that may be a struggle to keep within budget or needs a bit more attention for improvement.
Therefore, each design has 6 pages within the PDF so that you can truly master your finances and have the peace of mind that comes with doing so!
To try this budgeting method out and get your free printable 50/30/20 budget template simply scroll through all the designs and layouts available below and then follow these three steps:
- Click on the image of the template that would work best for you,
- Download the PDF file to your computer, and
Now you just need to fill in your budget numbers and stick to them!